incog's discourse

France iNcog
Ninja

Re: incog's discourse

Post by iNcog »

I agree it's a long ass video, imo too long. There was just a lot of information to go over and I just can't edit my videos, if I did each video would take too long to make. and editing is hard and I can't do it properly. I try to give an introduction where I go over what the content of each video is and then work from there. Might just watch it in two sittings or something, that's what I try to do with Hera's videos. I prefer to go for a podcast style because that's easier to make than a nice fully fleshed out edited video. of course the latter is cleaner, but I just can't make it

I think 20-30 minutes is the sweet spot for these.

Appreciate the feedback diarouga, I'll see if I can adjust things for future ones.

Also since you're in the thread now, what else do you think would be important for a new player to learn?
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer
ESO: vividlyplain

Post by vividlyplain »

@kami_ryu spamming the videos out so fast i don't have time to watch! so far they've been great and helpful to noobs like me... iNcog's discourse might even make it onto my list of must watch tutorials for ne wplayers right along with inter's tips and tricks playlist
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

I appreciate the kind words. I really, really do. I'm trying to make something that is as informative as possible for new players and it means a lot to see the numbers of views go up and people respond positively to the content I'm putting out there. :)

I've managed to hit a stride when it comes to making videos efficiently, still working out kinks. It's not super polished, but it's honest work. I just make a video as soon as I realize that something should be mentioned to a nooby.

Will totally take some recommendations as well.
Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

I don't think the problem is the vids are too long, it is they are a bit slow.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Le Hussard sur le toit wrote:I don't think the problem is the vids are too long, it is they are a bit slow.
I understand what you're saying.

It would be nice to pick up the pace in one way or another, do you have any suggestions? Or perhaps examples of what a better paced video is?

I cannot do what Spirit of the Law does. I tried to, it failed miserably.
Garja wrote:
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Garja wrote:
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer
ESO: vividlyplain

Post by vividlyplain »

iNcog wrote:
Is it ever useful to have the card Gribeauval System (Falconets, Culverins, and Horse Artillery get +25% attack; Heavy Cannons get +20% attack) in your deck? Like, if you plan to or expect the game to go to industrial.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

vividlyplain wrote:
iNcog wrote:
Is it ever useful to have the card Gribeauval System (Falconets, Culverins, and Horse Artillery get +25% attack; Heavy Cannons get +20% attack) in your deck? Like, if you plan to or expect the game to go to industrial.
not in supremacy but in treaty yes; the card buffs culverins attack, which may be circumstantially important in maintaining 2-shot kill status against opposing culverins when the other team has certain civ combinations. If the opposing team has any 2 of India, Otto, or Portuguese, after sending certain team cards their culverins go from dying in 2 shots to dying in 3 shots from other culverins. This might sound negligible but it’s not as it’s hugely influential in controlling the artillery war. Having gribeuvel system circumvents that specific case.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

vividlyplain wrote:
iNcog wrote:
It's a good upgrade card to have, imo, but not sure that it's a card you can send consistently. If it goes late game and you need to get an edge, great card imo. Not sure though, maybe a top level player has a better answer
Garja wrote:
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Garja wrote:
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

iNcog wrote:
Le Hussard sur le toit wrote:I don't think the problem is the vids are too long, it is they are a bit slow.

It would be nice to pick up the pace in one way or another, do you have any suggestions? Or perhaps examples of what a better paced video is?

I thought I had answered you but it seems I did not save my answer.

It's hard to give advices really since it is an inherent problem with video, it's a slow way to give out information compared to a text.
My advices would be: 1) try to prepare in advance what you are going to say. This would save a lot of time in hesitations and digressions. For example in your video on concave you don't actually explain what is the subject of the vid until 30 seconds - that's probably much too long.
You don't need to write down everything (you should not in fact) but at least write cue and keywords about what you want to say. You can also had fully redacted sentences for introduction or transitions if it helps getting your flow started.

As a training, I think you could go back to this video on concave and try to cut it down to 3 or even 2 minutes, focusing on what is essential to say. Since the video is short it is great for training.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Le Hussard sur le toit wrote:
iNcog wrote:

I thought I had answered you but it seems I did not save my answer.

It's hard to give advices really since it is an inherent problem with video, it's a slow way to give out information compared to a text.
My advices would be: 1) try to prepare in advance what you are going to say. This would save a lot of time in hesitations and digressions. For example in your video on concave you don't actually explain what is the subject of the vid until 30 seconds - that's probably much too long.
You don't need to write down everything (you should not in fact) but at least write cue and keywords about what you want to say. You can also had fully redacted sentences for introduction or transitions if it helps getting your flow started.

As a training, I think you could go back to this video on concave and try to cut it down to 3 or even 2 minutes, focusing on what is essential to say. Since the video is short it is great for training.
Interesting, your advice lines up with what I've been trying to do with notepads. I wonder what you think of the more recent stuff I've been putting out. It's probably still a bit too slow, I think. That's my own criticism for it.

I'm trying to hit a point where I'm able to present a lot of information both fluently and on the fly. I think that some amount of preparation is good and that after that, it comes to just making a lot of videos and practicing my ability to put out information quickly. I think I'll be awkward at first but eventually get used to a certain pacing that works out. Feel free to watch videos at x1.25 speed too if you want, I do that for longer videos that I want to watch on youtube (AOE2 or CIV VI VODs).

Thank you!
Garja wrote:
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Garja wrote:
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

iNcog wrote:I agree it's a long ass video, imo too long. There was just a lot of information to go over and I just can't edit my videos, if I did each video would take too long to make. and editing is hard and I can't do it properly. I try to give an introduction where I go over what the content of each video is and then work from there. Might just watch it in two sittings or something, that's what I try to do with Hera's videos. I prefer to go for a podcast style because that's easier to make than a nice fully fleshed out edited video. of course the latter is cleaner, but I just can't make it

I think 20-30 minutes is the sweet spot for these.

Appreciate the feedback diarouga, I'll see if I can adjust things for future ones.

Also since you're in the thread now, what else do you think would be important for a new player to learn?
Just edit the videos using pinnacle, premiere or whatever
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: miggo1999

Post by amiggo1999 »

@iNcog nice video. But the thing is even just the fact that you attack-move all units (HI and Cav) on enemy Cav, rigs the results heavily. In any normal game, where the opponent will micro even somewhat. You'll lose some hp on your cav + some anticav units, even before the engage happens. It probably still is a good counter-composition, but not close to like 2x as efficient.
Image Image
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Definitely don't think it's twice as efficient. There is a lot wrong with the scenario experiments. I'm just not sure how else to articulate what's going on

it's just not very good to not micro in these demonstrations, i guess. you're pretty much right 100%
Garja wrote:
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

FYI, still working on these. Here is the latest one:

Edit: also if a mod could move this to the DE section, it would be appreciated
Garja wrote:
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Done @iNcog.
Edit: I left the shadow topic in legacy in case people look there expecting to find the older stuff.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Thank you, @chris1089

Appreciate that
Garja wrote: