Why we love ESO - Ensemble Studios Online

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Re: Why we love ESO - Ensemble Studios Online

Post by bobabu »

Mitoe wrote:The thing I like about having team games force ranked in quick search is that I can actually choose my teammates, instead of being forced into random teams every single time in a game lobby. Part of the reason I never played team games was because I could never team with my friends, and playing against them is just not the same.

I think going back to ranked team lobbies means that team quick search dies 100% like on ESO, but at the same time I'm not sure that keeping ranked team quick-search only is sustainable long-term for AoE3 (in terms of number of players), especially if the matchmaking doesn't discriminate based on rank. Does anyone actually know how the matchmaking works exactly?
Well, ofc the ranking system will first try to find a match up which is closest to your ranks. If that's not possible it will then simply start searching for lower-ranked teams. The longer the search goes, the system starts expanding the number of viable players. So it's not like you will not find a game if there's no one matching your rank.
Chile BigThunderMan
Crossbow
ESO: KingErick

Post by BigThunderMan »

I know that we are all harping on it, but it's shockingly terrible. A real disappointment.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

BigThunderMan wrote:I know that we are all harping on it, but it's shockingly terrible. A real disappointment.
Let's see where we stand in 3 months.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

bobabu wrote:
BigThunderMan wrote:I know that we are all harping on it, but it's shockingly terrible. A real disappointment.
Let's see where we stand in 3 months.
Probably dead :dry:
Chile BigThunderMan
Crossbow

Post by BigThunderMan »

It's going to be dead because the UI is shockingly bad. So unless they intent to fix the actual game issues, AND redo the UI and get rid of the cartoony graphics as well, AND remake the matchmaking service from scratch... Yeah.

Ensemble was spared no indignity in shutting down, and neither is this community now.
No Flag silky
Musketeer

Post by silky »

Back to TAD...
Death to gendarme-spammers.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Why are people complaining about the UI? Its objectively an improvement from the legacy game outside from 1-2 things( being difficult to see when you have a shipment for some civs, garrisoning units). Also as others have said being able to play ranked only via qs is a good change overall, assuming the player base is decent.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

gibson wrote:Why are people complaining about the UI? Its objectively an improvement from the legacy game outside from 1-2 things( being difficult to see when you have a shipment for some civs, garrisoning units). Also as others have said being able to play ranked only via qs is a good change overall, assuming the player base is decent.
What's the improvement in the UI ?
It's the same UI with issues with iddle vills, shipments and units in TC, ie the the same UI with issues.
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
gibson wrote:Why are people complaining about the UI? Its objectively an improvement from the legacy game outside from 1-2 things( being difficult to see when you have a shipment for some civs, garrisoning units). Also as others have said being able to play ranked only via qs is a good change overall, assuming the player base is decent.
What's the improvement in the UI ?
It's the same UI with issues with iddle vills, shipments and units in TC, ie the the same UI with issues.
To see rate of fire of units, gathering rate of vills, ...
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

My main complains are the following:
1) The idle vils flag is less noticable (probably because it is smaller and less contrasting). I only started noticing it with the help of aizs UI.
2) The selected units "compartment" is utter trash. TAD did this well - all your selected stuffs is visible in an easy to oversee fashion and is bigger, thus making it a breeze to deselect or reselect with the help of shift and ctrl. What we get instead is a small window that is closed by default and lays out selection in a grid (2 dimensions) instead of a line (1 dimension), thus requiring more time to find what you're looking for and adding the issue of shifting unit types to the next line when you add stuff. This is only somewhat improved by aizamks mod to make it open by default.
3) The number of shipments unspent and number of units selected is hard to see because the number doesn't have a darkened background or outline. I'd imagine this is super simple to fix.
4) The shift+click functionality on the numbers indicating food/wood/coin gatherers/idles/idle flag now selects one villager instead of nearby groups.
5) While I like the additional visibility that the transparency and naked spots of the bottom half of UI provides, some of these transparent spaces are "dead space" and you cannot actually make selections in this space. This was also a problem with TAD minimized UI (you cannot select units in the space where maximized UI used to reside), but it is more apparent in DE.
6) Where do I find garrisoned units!?
7) Also the garrison flags seem to be less contrasting.
8) See the clip where tabben couldn't see the fight because it took place under the explorers death text.

Sorry for derailing the thread but since you asked...
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag Zhanson10
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by Zhanson10 »

Y'all can hate on the DE all you like, I think the new game is amazing
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

BigThunderMan wrote:It's going to be dead
Would you say AoE3:RE is dead now? And has been for the last couple of years?
BigThunderMan wrote:because the UI is shockingly bad.
Have you tried all three UI setups? Why does the legacy UI shock you?
BigThunderMan wrote:and get rid of the cartoony graphics as well
Could you send me a screenshot of a cartoony graphic?
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

actually can someone help me with something?

the in game tooltip that pops up when you hover over units seems to be "blocking" clicks for lack of a better word but removing the tooltip means I can't check treasures. Is this a bug or is there a setting?
Chile BigThunderMan
Crossbow

Post by BigThunderMan »

Before I get into it, please don't accuse me of being a hater. I've played this since 2005, online since '08, I was on AgeComm in '08, I've made MANY (bad) youtube videos about the game. This definitely my favorite game, so I would hope my critiques are constructive.
edeholland wrote:
BigThunderMan wrote:and get rid of the cartoony graphics as well
Could you send me a screenshot of a cartoony graphic?
Examples of cartoony graphics:
- The end screen victory or defeat (I fucking hate it more than anything else in the world). It looks trash.
- I think their side wood panels and buttons should have looked more realistic -- distressed is the term -- like the OG AOE 3 games did.
- I think the "browse games" portal under multiplayer (besides being dysfunctional -- can't scroll, etc) looks pop-y and perfect rather than the gritty / distressed look. All of their wood menus do, in fact.
- Same with the new charts / post game stance.

I know this is all extremely nit-picky, but I do corporate marketing and branding design for a living. The difference between distressed and gritty verse a clean clip-art wood frame is GLARING to me, and it should have been to their team as well.
edeholland wrote:
BigThunderMan wrote:because the UI is shockingly bad.
Have you tried all three UI setups? Why does the legacy UI shock you?
The legacy UI shocks me because the first rule of promoting a legacy UI is don't change things in the legacy version, and they did. I'm not a fan. I've been playing under the Definitive HUD.

- The score panel is a mess -- the paragraph alignment between the names and scores makes it really hard to see at a glance. Plus, making each score row identical makes it really hard to scan for a specific score in 4, 6, 8 player games.
- The tech tree is an abortion AND IT'S THE FIRST CHOICE IN THE IN-GAME MENU. The tech tree doesn't show you unit strength, percentages, card effects, etc. It scrolls horizontally instead of vertically (A rookie mistake give how eyes are trained to scroll vertically on a computer).
- Multiplayer navigation is a clusterf.
- Homescreen navigation is a clusterf. Should have been single player, multiplayer, homecities, etc. Instead its a maze of buttons.
- The home city cards is a mess.
edeholland wrote:
BigThunderMan wrote:It's going to be dead
Would you say AoE3:RE is dead now? And has been for the last couple of years?
It's more alive now that and has been -- and that's a great thing.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

I do agree with some of your points, but not all.
- Personally I think that phasing out the wood texture menus is OK. Design ages. I'd imagine it's a similar story with the other DEs.
- Tech trees have always been horizontal.
- Clusterfuck of navigation is a STAPLE of microsoft. Amen.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Having bought this game in 2009 I can safely say that I do not like the DE version at all. The game user interface just feels wrong. I miss the old classic ESO interface :(. Is this how boomers feel?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

InsectPoison wrote:Having bought this game in 2009 I can safely say that I do not like the DE version at all. The game user interface just feels wrong. I miss the old classic ESO interface :(. Is this how boomers feel?
This is the correct point of view.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

ok boomer
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

Harcha's complaints about the new UI are decent. I'm convinced they will fix (almost) all of the broken things in the near future. They are in fact easily fixable.

In a couple of months we won't talk about half the points anymore.

However, this thread is about ESO. I really hope they extend the current possibilities in multiplayer, so it comes closer to the feeling of ESO. That's something more important in my opinion.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor

Post by MCJim »

One year later... Did DE multiplayer improve in the mean time? Of course, they can't copy ESO, but it still misses some important features, named in the first post.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

ESO definitely does have that, well, legacy feel, but it wears off in comparison — matchmaking in games like “Company of Heroes 2” shows you what you didn't know was missing

the thing that has always put me off is the skewed ranking system; although the “in-universe” accessibility is great, you can see there's (or rather: there was) so much potential for basic improvements, like advanced stats (cards & decks usage?), the medals system, interaction with others (brief chat history, showing the time a message was sent at) etc.
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

This thread reminds me I am kinda disappointed that aoe4 is using Steam names instead of an in-game name system with one name per purchase. Preferably with one name change per season.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

dicktator_ wrote:This thread reminds me I am kinda disappointed that aoe4 is using Steam names instead of an in-game name system with one name per purchase. Preferably with one name change per season.
You need one change per month for November.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

Le Hussard sur le toit wrote:
dicktator_ wrote:This thread reminds me I am kinda disappointed that aoe4 is using Steam names instead of an in-game name system with one name per purchase. Preferably with one name change per season.
You need one change per month for November.
He just needs to buy 3 accounts
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor

Post by MCJim »

Arc_gu1ll3_sp wrote:It should be safe to say that all the graphical and optimization flaws and different bugs in DE will be solved in the coming days, weeks or months. There are many people reporting bugs and some great initiatives going on, like the “DE list of issues” thread started by Kaiserklein which will be posted in the official forums.

I am aware many of these posts/initiatives cover things I will say here, but I wanted to focus specifically in the multiplayer “social side”, which is the main reason for me (and probably for many) for loving AOE3 multiplayer. I will leave civ balance, maps and this kind of things aside.

I will try not to mention how things are in DE, since we all know them and it would make the post 2x long.

Why is (or was ☹) AOE3 multiplayer so great:

Let’s start from the beginning: The player account, or in game name:
In ESO one copy or CD key of the game is linked to one unique player account. That is your account, people know you by it and you know people by theirs. You get to know players, what civs they are good with, how they like to lame or not and so on.

You cannot change your account name and no other player in the world can have the same account name.

[...]