Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition — Update 23511

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Re: Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition — Update 23511

Post by Garja »

what a joke
Image Image Image
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:https://www.ageofempires.com/news/aoe3d ... tfix-24632

appears to be most updated patch list
also aztec 6 coyotes down to 5
That's where I got the notes from too.

Seems like they updated it again a couple of hours after I first copied it! The 5 Coyotes card change is located at the very end instead of the Aztec header like the other civs.
Rookie mistake on their side :!:

I updated my initial hotfix post with the new changes :flowers:
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

I wonder who complained about the 6coyote.
Anyway, sharpshooters stats were fine even, it's shooting animation which is very bad.
Image Image Image
Argentina Jets
Dragoon
ESO: SsJetstream
Clan: FPL

Post by Jets »

Why they keep increasing units range? Why?
Brazil Youssef
Skirmisher
ESO: Youssef2709

Post by Youssef »

also 10 and 9 maces now gives 9 and 8 maces
India iron_turtle
Skirmisher
ESO: iron_turtle

Post by iron_turtle »

Youssef wrote:also 10 and 9 maces now gives 9 and 8 maces
lmao, what? Why was this not on patch notes?
Are they nerfing Aztec based on 800elo players?
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

No it isn't. Dunno where you got your info from but I just checked ingame and it's still 10 and 9 maces.
Oops, the card icon still states 10 and 9 maces but when you ship it you only receive 9 and 8 maces :cry:
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Finally, I can enter the ranked queue once more now that the 6 Coyote issue has been dealt with.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Finally, I can enter the ranked queue once more now that the 6 Coyote issue has been dealt with.
Aren't you surprised that they nerfed the right card? With the history of changes so far, you would think that they would accidentally nerf the pet coyote cards instead.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

just delete aztec lakota iro already lol

its clear that they hate the original playstyle for those civs, and are doing what they can to force them into FF/turtle play. at this point i'm sure balance is worse then ever was in EP, and maybe even getting worse then RE in some points.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

One of the worst takes in this thread.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

gibson wrote:One of the worst takes in this thread.
age of turtle: please turtle more edition
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer
ESO: Peachrocks

Post by Peachrocks »

If they were really forcing them into turtle play they’d boost the town ceremony card and others. When this happens then you can say turtle is being pushed. I mean hell you could argue that turtle was the original intent with how silly those cards were at release.

But hey no matter what anyone says here or anywhere else, they are gunna do them. Just be glad it’s not me doing patch notes :D
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

It's not turtle but prolonged gameplay. The fact is AOE3 lategame isn't that great. Mills and plants and walls are boring, most of the interesting stuff happens in age2 and age3 on the natural resources.
Image Image Image
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

infinite resources sucks
mad cuz bad
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

hot take: lets scrap age 5, then there is no such thing as the late game
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

iron_turtle wrote:
lmao, what? Why was this not on patch notes?
Are they nerfing Aztec based on 800elo players?
i mean, it was weird that they prefaced the previous patch by saying, "aztec has the highest win rate of any civ and is really strong, but here are a bunch of buff"
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

n0el wrote:infinite resources sucks
really the problem is the walling. mills and plantations are big enough wood investments that you still have to be very careful with switching over to them in a 1v1 game, and the 5-10 minutes where players are desperately trying to stay alive while transitioning to mills/plants are some of the funnest and craziest minutes in the game. if there were just no walls or walls were weaker and more expensive, then the late game infinite resource slog wars would end a lot quicker since you could just raid your opponents way more easily and the game would be better for it. just make bastion walls cost more imo and give players the option to make either weak wood walls or expensive strong bastion walls.
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

Squamiger wrote:
n0el wrote:infinite resources sucks
really the problem is the walling. mills and plantations are big enough wood investments that you still have to be very careful with switching over to them in a 1v1 game, and the 5-10 minutes where players are desperately trying to stay alive while transitioning to mills/plants are some of the funnest and craziest minutes in the game. if there were just no walls or walls were weaker and more expensive, then the late game infinite resource slog wars would end a lot quicker since you could just raid your opponents way more easily and the game would be better for it. just make bastion walls cost more imo and give players the option to make either weak wood walls or expensive strong bastion walls.
Well it's both. The fact that walls are cheap and strong are a factor, but infinite resources make it so that we can pretty easily put our entire eco behind walls in lategame. In aoe2, palisade walls don't do much against imperial units and stone walls are expensive and take a long time to build, but it's also the fact that aoe2 players have to spread out a lot more to try to get stone, gold, and wood that makes raiding and multiprong more of a thing in their lategame. They can't realistically wall in every vill because then they'd have to wall up half the map. In sc2 they don't have walls at all but Terran and Protoss can pretty easily wall their first two bases and usually their 3rd as well with buildings. It's the fact that they have to move out for more resources that makes their lategames more intense and interesting. If they could make buildings to infinitely gather minerals and vespene their lategame would look a lot more boring (also skytoss turtle would be (even more?) busted). In other RTS games the need to expand for resources is a driving force for the entirety of the game, while in aoe3 it's only a driving force in the early and midgame, before the mill and plantation transition takes place. For a long time that early and midgame was long enough that the majority of sup games wouldn't go past it. But lately, the patch changes, new civ mechanics, and the meta seem to be wanting to head towards lategame, which is where the frustration is coming from. And I know it's funny that a treaty player is talking about the faults of aoe3 lategame, it's actually the same things that make aoe3 lategame boring for the majority of competitive players that allows treaty to be a thing.

Anyway, I hope that they revert these Aztec nerfs. Or at the very least, change the 8 mace shipment to INFINITE 8 mace, so that the change that Zoi kept trying to get through for years can be a thing.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Infinite 8 maces is sort of useless, I don't want to send another unit shipment when I'm sending 4 of them.
Anyway, I've been playing Aztecs since forever and played them a lot on DE too. They are just antimeta, all the buffs they received are a palliative compared to what they need to be competitive.
The only real buff that matters is the eagle scout as it improves age1 greatly, especially map scouting and later on map awareness. Time reduction on age ups did matter too but now it's only 10 secs so it's not enough to make them a valid enough alternative to the standard fast age.
The civ just has too many handicaps.
First of all the units are slow and have like no los. Coyote basically run blind (when they get the speed up you literally clash into other units without being able to turn back).
All ranged units have short range and short LOS (except AK but it's not a viable unit on regular basis). Slingers not only have short range but also have the damage output split in two volleys and with a setup animation. They basically don't kill shit even tho they have better stats/per cost than most RI.
Skull knights, the supposed elite unit, have been buffed left and right but they remain useless in the meta. You can't abuse them with the FI or FF because they're not like heavy cannons or some ranged unit that provide a real strategic advantage. The only abusive thing is the insane siege which is hard to exploit because it implies you do some sort of hard pressure and leave them sieging stuff while you somehow fight with slingers. Even when you manage to do that, you hardly trade profitably as you lose more than the damage dealt (usually there is only so much you can siege, unless the civ has most of his eco in base like Dutch or Japan).

On top of that Aztecs have no practical follow up, meaning you need godlike macro and planning ahead to just get your eco going after some sort of pressure/timing. Other civs are so facilitated in that regard, they develop naturally (just try any other civ FI for comparison, it basically plays itself).
These are only few main disavantages, there is a lot more. The civ doesn't need stat buffs to their units. Units have great stats. The eco is also fine if somehow you manage to set it up in the optimal way (I'm talking about maxed out eco with the right card sent). They need more facilitations like the eagle scout. Slingers would benefit from +2 range at some point or instant shooting animation. Alternatively AK need to be a viable unit, maybe without setup animation so that there is an effective dicotomy short/long ranged unit like USA have.
Image Image Image
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

So the age2 politician options were basically reverted and all the age 2 unit shipments except for 6 pumas were nerfed, well done :D
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

did this just happen bc @Aussie_Drongo made an aztec smurf and ran a train on every single player from 700 to 1500 elo for a week with skull knight rushes :uglylol:
Great Britain CR_Joops
Skirmisher
ESO: CR_Joops

Post by CR_Joops »

Squamiger wrote:did this just happen bc @Aussie_Drongo made an aztec smurf and ran a train on every single player from 700 to 1500 elo for a week with skull knight rushes :uglylol:
I am no dev. But, yes.
Sweden Aussie_Drongo
Skirmisher
ESO: Darkalbino_

Post by Aussie_Drongo »

Squamiger wrote:did this just happen bc @Aussie_Drongo made an aztec smurf and ran a train on every single player from 700 to 1500 elo for a week with skull knight rushes :uglylol:
A young @Diarouga once said, if you want to see it nerfed, you must exploit it yourself.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

has Diarouga actually said anything ever?
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.