ESOC Crypto Corner

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

ESOC Crypto Corner

Post by Snuden »

I thought a permanent thread about cryptocurrency would be in order, so here it is.

It is meant as thread for those who either already are active on the crypto scene and/or for those who are curious about crypto.

So crypto-nerds, reveal your strategies, ask questions or simply just put on your tinfoil hat and hangout!

ATT Taxman, please see yourself out!
[Sith] - Baphomet
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Re: ESOC Crypto Corner

Post by Gendarme »

Yeah I'm probably going to invest in BTC on Monday. It is on an all-time high again despite a damn hard-fork inflating the amount of coins by 10%. If it fucking THRIVES during a hard-fork attack it seems very wasteful to not join the imminent rise to the stars.
Pay more attention to detail.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

I will start...

1. You will need a wallet to store your bitcoins. I personally use http://www.blockchain.info
2. You have to buy bitcoins, I have never bought any myself but I hear good things about http://www.coinmama.com
3. Once you have bought your first bitcoins you should transfer them to your wallet, look at the wallet as a base for your coins and from there you can send them to wherever you want - for example to an exchange.
4. Signup at an exchange, I recommend http://www.poloniex.com

Once on the exchange you can see how the various coins are doing against BTC or USD (and a few other coins)

Here we see USD against coins http://prntscr.com/hbrw2t
And here we see BTC against various coins http://prntscr.com/hbrwps

BTC against BCH http://prntscr.com/hbrxh6 In order to buy BCH (http://prntscr.com/hbrxzv) you need to fill out how much in BTC you are willing to pay for the BCH. In this case we can see that the BCH cost 0.14626055 BTC. Just before making this thread I bought a little BCH so I could illustrate a real trade, here it is http://prntscr.com/hbrzkf

So if I were to sell now (since price went up) I would simply go to http://prntscr.com/hbs1i3 type in the amount I want to sell and how much (BTC) I want for it.

After closing the trade you can see the trade in your "history" account, it look like this http://prntscr.com/hbs31r as you can see it was sold to 2 different buyers.
Next and final step is to analyze the trade http://prntscr.com/hbs488 in this example I made a profit of 0.00027799 BTC http://prntscr.com/hbs56u

And thats it, you are now a cryptocurrency trader.

I should not have to say it, but I will anyway: ONLY INVEST IN CRYPTO WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD TO LOSE! It is extremely volatile and in most cases you don't know who is behind a certain service or site. There are TONS of scams out there exploiting new users.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

I am not planning to buy actual Bitcoins, but rather buying exchange-traded certificates on the normal exchange. The fee is 2.5% per year so it is very negligible, and since it doesn't involve any multiplier it should be just fine.

But thanks for the information.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

Gendarme wrote:I am not planning to buy actual Bitcoins, but rather buying exchange-traded certificates on the normal exchange. The fee is 2.5% per year so it is very negligible, and since it doesn't involve any multiplier it should be just fine.

Whats the advantage of doing that?
[Sith] - Baphomet
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

It's as easy as buying stocks. You get them in your normal bank account, and buy and sell with the click of a button. There's no need for the hassle. Normally you don't invest in the long-term with certificates - absolutely not if they have a multiplier - but the fee is so low compared to the Bitcoin fluctuations that it really is negligible. Normally there are also bear-certificates (you buy them if you think the value is going down), but in this case there isn't. However, you can only trade when the stock market is open, which is why I have to wait until Monday.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

They buy and sell the coins on exchanges like poloniex anyway, the only difference is that you dont pay a 2.5% fee to a broker and by going direct on a coin exchange you can trade 24/7/365 for as little or as much as you want.

Maybe I am missing something but I don't see the advantage at all.

If BTC is crashing, you will be hit regardless of where you bought them. Allah forbid it would crash on a Friday evening, because there wont be a damn thing you can do about it before Monday morning.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Yes, there is no benefit other than not having to go through the hassle of getting those initial Bitcoins (which you'd have to pay more than a 2.5% fee for probably) and setting up your wallet, and perhaps you trust the bank a bit more than Poloniex. There might be an issue with tax too if you buy Bitcoins. Taxation on stock market profits is quite low here ATM - very low. In fact, it doesn't matter if you profit or not, the taxed amount is purely based on your holdings and deposits, and the interest rate of the central bank.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

I agree there's a hassle getting your first coins, but after that it's smooth sailing and gives you freedom to do whatever you want with your coins.

Yes, trust is a huge factor, which is why I mentioned Poloniex and especially blockchain.info (I think Richard Branson is co-owner of blockchain) Either way, they are probably the most trusted services in the crypto space.

IMO you are leaving out part of the fun, which is trading. You also exclude yourself from investing in crypto start-ups. But if your strategy is to buy and hold, then I guess it won't matter much.

I have left out any mention of tax on purpose. :smile:
[Sith] - Baphomet
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Actually, if I wanted to be involved in crypto for a long I would get actual coins, but I have no idea how long I will be involved in this. I'm not really a great believer in cryptocurrency - at least not yet - so I'm not committing.
India gh0st
Lancer
ESO: gh0st007

Post by gh0st »

Gendarme wrote:I am not planning to buy actual Bitcoins, but rather buying exchange-traded certificates on the normal exchange. The fee is 2.5% per year so it is very negligible, and since it doesn't involve any multiplier it should be just fine.

What exactly are those?
I'm guessing they are like ETFs and much less volatile than BTC?
like in terms of trading in equity, you trade in index/etf like SPY/DJIA rather than trading in highly volatile stocks?
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

No they aren't ETFs. They are basically one layer above futures contracts. What happens when you buy this certificate for $100 from the bank is that the bank itself buys Bitcoins for $100 on your behalf (or perhaps a futures contract on Bitcoins for $100) and when you decide to cash in the certificate the bank sells those Bitcoins and gives you all the money. The bank doesn't care what happens and only profits from the yearly 2.5% fee, at least in this case.

In other cases there are multipliers on the certificate. A multiplier of 10 would mean that if you buy certificates worth $100 the bank buys for $1000, which means that your wins and losses are multiplied by 10. There are also bear-certificates normally, although not in this case. Bear is the opposite of bull, which just means that the outcome is reversed: if the value goes down you win, and if it goes up you lose. This is the most simple explanation of it, and is practically all you need to know - but there's slightly more to it that we can go over if you're interested.
No Flag dave_12
Skirmisher

Post by dave_12 »

What is crypto?
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

India gh0st
Lancer
ESO: gh0st007

Post by gh0st »

alright, got it. Not much difference though, but sounds better as there is no tension regarding buying starting bitcoins and just trade it like a stock. Also, those multipliers are basically bank/broker providing you leverage.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Yes they are just leverage, but the thing with multipliers is that they stack multiplicatively. The nominal value of the certificates are updated once a day, which means that if the asset rises in value over the span of several days you profit more than if it had risen the same amount in one day - a simple snowball-effect. This also means that if the asset fluctuates but doesn't really move you're just going to lose money, and this is something the bank can take advantage of.

Here's an example:

You buy bull-certificates for The Coca Cola Company with a multiplier of 10 for $100. The next day the value of The Coca Cola Company rises by 11.1%, which means that your certificates are now worth 111% more - $211. The next day the value of The Coca Cola Company decreases by 10% back to its original value, which means that your certificates are now worth 100% less - $0. You just lost everything.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

Next logical step is to create Crypto Clan on ESO.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer
ESO: JapaneseGeneral

Post by japanesegeneral »

The Arena -Clan is a bitcoinclan already.
6 petards a day keep the doctor away.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

japanesegeneral wrote:The Arena -Clan is a bitcoinclan already.

Clan grudge match coming up!
[Sith] - Baphomet
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

$9,000 hypeuuuuu
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

ez4bitcoin
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

funnymunny
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Can you actually cash out, though? I'm talking 10-20 thousand dollars, not 200. And how quickly?

@Gendarme @Snuden
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

You probably can, but you won't find a good conversion-rate between crypto and legal tender on any website, I think. Converting to another cryptocurrency is instant as long as you have your money on an exchange. A Bitcoin-transaction can take up to one hour, so I suppose that's how long it would take otherwise. You don't have to directly own Bitcoins to invest in them, though: https://xbtprovider.com/