Need training in a civ or two

No Flag cblack
Musketeer

Need training in a civ or two

Post by cblack »

Hi everyone, been playing for about a month total and am around PR 17 (fluctuates between 16 and 17). I have made it this far by strictly using France, so I would say I am decent with them and that I learned the concepts of the game with them. However, I could really use some help learning a few new civs so that maybe I can compete in the next tournament. I am interesting in learning Russia the most, Britain, and perhaps Japan. I have read the guides thoroughly but for me to learn well, I need hands on experience which is what I am hoping one of you can help with. I have pretty great availability and am always voice capable, so if anyone would like to help me, it'd be super appreciated. Drop me a PM here or on the ESOC discord as "cbrown" and we chat. Thanks all!
No Flag Eagleknight
Crossbow

Re: Need training in a civ or two

Post by Eagleknight »

Watch streams :P
No Flag born2believe
Skirmisher

Post by born2believe »

Eagleknight wrote:Watch streams :P

Imo its much better if somebody specificaly focuses on your play and points out your mistakes then to watch someone else do it. Both options are great, but the first one is superior.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
No Flag Eagleknight
Crossbow

Post by Eagleknight »

born2believe wrote:

Imo its much better if somebody specificaly focuses on your play and points out your mistakes then to watch someone else do it. Both options are great, but the first one is superior.

I was planning to do that but rather for captain players, because as I said, a MS just makes too many mistakes and it's really hard (at least for me) to give him relevant advices other than "macro better in order to have more units"
No Flag born2believe
Skirmisher

Post by born2believe »

Eagleknight wrote:
born2believe wrote:

I was planning to do that but rather for captain players, because as I said, a MS just makes too many mistakes and it's really hard (at least for me) to give him relevant advices other than "macro better in order to have more units"

I understand. I tried to coach some new players (not in AOE3) and its just very hard to point out every basic mistake and you just run out of things to say.
But there are people who are very good at this things; Zutazuta for example does a very good job at it imo.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
No Flag cblack
Musketeer

Post by cblack »

Thank you for the input. I watch a ton of streams and youtube videos of tournament gameplay when I am at work. It has broadened my intelligence of the game. However, as born2believe said, it is hard to analyze what I could be doing wrong mid-game when I am focusing on other things. Someone who is able to watch my gameplay and give me tips is what I am looking for. Perhaps, even someone just helping me with macro/micro for civs like Russia would be great.. For instance, when I play France, I don't ever put anyone on wood until fortress because of the 700+600w shipments being plenty for houses/rax/stable/market upgrades/TP.. With civs like russia, it seems like more need to be on wood than gold, but I don't know the best proportions. It's stuff like that I need guidance on.
No Flag born2believe
Skirmisher

Post by born2believe »

cbrown1170 wrote:Thank you for the input. I watch a ton of streams and youtube videos of tournament gameplay when I am at work. It has broadened my intelligence of the game. However, as born2believe said, it is hard to analyze what I could be doing wrong mid-game when I am focusing on other things. Someone who is able to watch my gameplay and give me tips is what I am looking for. Perhaps, even someone just helping me with macro/micro for civs like Russia would be great.. For instance, when I play France, I don't ever put anyone on wood until fortress because of the 700+600w shipments being plenty for houses/rax/stable/market upgrades/TP.. With civs like russia, it seems like more need to be on wood than gold, but I don't know the best proportions. It's stuff like that I need guidance on.

Also, record your games and watch them; preferably right after they're finished. I find as the best way to get better at any game by your self. Because, as you watch lots of proffesional matches you get a good understanding of the game and its way easier to analyze the replay then to think mid-game.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

cbrown1170 wrote:Thank you for the input. I watch a ton of streams and youtube videos of tournament gameplay when I am at work. It has broadened my intelligence of the game. However, as born2believe said, it is hard to analyze what I could be doing wrong mid-game when I am focusing on other things. Someone who is able to watch my gameplay and give me tips is what I am looking for. Perhaps, even someone just helping me with macro/micro for civs like Russia would be great.. For instance, when I play France, I don't ever put anyone on wood until fortress because of the 700+600w shipments being plenty for houses/rax/stable/market upgrades/TP.. With civs like russia, it seems like more need to be on wood than gold, but I don't know the best proportions. It's stuff like that I need guidance on.

About exact vill distribution: the very best players know exact numbers of how many on what situation and etc, but thats a lot of info, its not something I would worry right now. I recomend that you just try out and adapt. you have to keep looking at your res constantly. if you see that you have too much wood, move a few guys out, if you are getting housed a lot, more guys in.. next game in a similar situation you will have a better distribution natually.

I recomend that you Record your games when possible, and watch your losses trying to find out why you lost. most of the times you will see yourself "oh, made 30 pikes vs 5cossac, and had nothing vs strelet..." and you can fix it next time.

when you just dont know what went wrong, then its a good opotunity to ask a question to a better player and get valuable feedback.

You can add me on eso and I can answer a few questions.
No Flag cblack
Musketeer

Post by cblack »

born2believe wrote:

Also, record your games and watch them; preferably right after they're finished. I find as the best way to get better at any game by your self. Because, as you watch lots of proffesional matches you get a good understanding of the game and its way easier to analyze the replay then to think mid-game.

Solid suggestion, but what I would also say is that someone on my level might not understand exactly what I did wrong or what I could have done better. Sometimes it takes someone higher skilled to assess the issues with the play style. Regardless, thanks and i'll be sure to do that :)
No Flag cblack
Musketeer

Post by cblack »

lemmings121 wrote:

About exact vill distribution: the very best players know exact numbers of how many on what situation and etc, but thats a lot of info, its not something I would worry right now. I recomend that you just try out and adapt. you have to keep looking at your res constantly. if you see that you have too much wood, move a few guys out, if you are getting housed a lot, more guys in.. next game in a similar situation you will have a better distribution natually.

I recomend that you Record your games when possible, and watch your losses trying to find out why you lost. most of the times you will see yourself "oh, made 30 pikes vs 5cossac, and had nothing vs strelet..." and you can fix it next time.

when you just dont know what went wrong, then its a good opotunity to ask a question to a better player and get valuable feedback.

You can add me on eso and I can answer a few questions.

Thanks, will do! I suppose it is best to just play it by ear, and keep an eye on my resources at all times.. It's just, with timings, I think it's crucial to have the right distribution. For example, if I am doing a blockhouse timing where I am sending 13 strelet's while building 5 musk, I need to allocate maybe more than I normally would onto gold so musks can be produced. It's just a lot to think about and put into play in the heat of a match. :)
No Flag Warriorpriest
Crossbow

Post by Warriorpriest »

Well, if you want me to check some of your recorded games, just message me on Skype (azertyuiopni1), or on discord (diarouga), and I'll take a look if I have time ;)
I won't be free before next Monday though.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

Sure, for perfect play people have those things in memory "I need exactly 8 vill here at 6mins with x and y upgrades..." But even at pr~30, I just see for exemple "ok, in that game lordraphael had a bunch of guys on food, a few on gold, and his card order was x,y,z." and from that point I just play the bo, and in a couple games I can feel if i'm stockpilling any res, or missing anything.

if you just want to learn one timming, watch a rec and do exactly the same things. What am I sugesting is just something more generic, so you can play several builds for fun without a notebook by hand.
No Flag born2believe
Skirmisher

Post by born2believe »

lemmings121 wrote:About exact vill distribution: the very best players know exact numbers of how many on what situation and etc,

If there is a spreadsheet or something on that, i would be very interested.

cbrown1170 wrote:Solid suggestion, but what I would also say is that someone on my level might not understand exactly what I did wrong or what I could have done better. Sometimes it takes someone higher skilled to assess the issues with the play style

Yes, ofcourse.
It is generally really good if you can see your own mistakes and manage to fix them yourself. But for some more advanced stuff it is indeed good to have someone else look into it.
What often happens in games is that you just don't have a high enought APM to really do everything you know. T.i. you can really learn tons of stuff from watching streams/youtube videos, but in games you just don't remeber and after, whilst watching the replay you realise what you did wrong and can improve on it yourself.
No Flag Erk
Crossbow

Post by Erk »

I used to think like you, but it's not how it works.
Because of treasures you need to balance the vills between the resources.
For example, when you do a semi ff as France, you should usually put 7-8vills on coin.
But if you have 100c because of treasures it's only 6-7.

You also need to see that as a matter of resources and not as a matter of vills.

For example, as aztecs, I put all my vills on wood except the one who herds and like 2 I keep on food to avoid to waste my hunts, and I remove my vills when I have 250w, it's not "11v on wood".

And ofc as Russia, it will be the same:
Everybody on wood but 2-3 till you have the market, hunting dogs, the bh, then all on food till you have 270f for the vill batch, and finally like 8 on gold till you get 125c for steel traps.

Idk if it's clear enough but there's no "vill distribution", it's situational.
But still keep in mind the amount of resources you need.

@born If you want to know more about vill distribution you can pm me on eso/skype/discord/twitch
If I have some time I'll write a guide about it
No Flag born2believe
Skirmisher

Post by born2believe »

Yea, I get that. Its just... I think its very usefull to know how many vills you need on each resource to keep f.e. constant longbow production in 2 rax. Thats what I was reffering to for the ˝spreadsheet˝.
No Flag Arrowk
Crossbow

Post by Arrowk »

born2believe wrote:Yea, I get that. Its just... I think its very usefull to know how many vills you need on each resource to keep f.e. constant longbow production in 2 rax. Thats what I was reffering to for the ˝spreadsheet˝.

Lb is hard because you also send wood crates.
But for example as brits, I put 9-10v on coin and 20-25 on food when I went to spam my musks 10/10 while making vills (in mirror).
And after that, I put my new vills on wood in order to make more manors.
If it's only a spreadsheet you need, I'll try to make one for Monday if I can.
No Flag born2believe
Skirmisher

Post by born2believe »

Arrowk wrote:
born2believe wrote:Yea, I get that. Its just... I think its very usefull to know how many vills you need on each resource to keep f.e. constant longbow production in 2 rax. Thats what I was reffering to for the ˝spreadsheet˝.

Lb is hard because you also send wood crates.
But for example as brits, I put 9-10v on coin and 20-25 on food when I went to spam my musks 10/10 while making vills (in mirror).
And after that, I put my new vills on wood in order to make more manors.
If it's only a spreadsheet you need, I'll try to make one for Monday if I can.

I only put lb here as an example, it's any type of unit really.
No Flag Arrowk
Crossbow

Post by Arrowk »

K, it would be a lot easier if I didn't get banned every hour lol :P
Wales CelticCrusader
Dragoon
ESO: CelticCrusader

Post by CelticCrusader »

@cblack why kick me last night ? :sad:
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

IMO stick to France until you reach lieutenant level, at least. At your level, strategy/tactics/micro/macro is the limiting factor, rather than getting bad MUs. Diverting your attention into learning a new civilization just interferes with your mechanics and strategy improvement.
Pay more attention to detail.
No Flag cblack
Musketeer

Post by cblack »

CelticCrusader wrote:@cblack why kick me last night ? :sad:

Probably cause you are a much higher PR and I wanted to play my skill level :hmm:
Wales CelticCrusader
Dragoon
ESO: CelticCrusader

Post by CelticCrusader »

cbrown1170 wrote:

Probably cause you are a much higher PR and I wanted to play my skill level :hmm:

I am actually rated slightly less than you on elo ratings. I have been between pr 15-16 for over a year. Your elo ratings http://aoe3.jpcommunity.com/rating2/player?n=cbrown1170
Mine
http://aoe3.jpcommunity.com/rating2/pla ... icCrusader
No Flag cblack
Musketeer

Post by cblack »

CelticCrusader wrote:
cbrown1170 wrote:

I am actually rated slightly less than you on elo ratings. I have been between pr 15-16 for over a year. Your elo ratings http://aoe3.jpcommunity.com/rating2/player?n=cbrown1170
Mine
http://aoe3.jpcommunity.com/rating2/pla ... icCrusader

Holy cow, I had no idea that existed. Sirportroyale is someone I met on ESO, we play almost every night (2v2) and we have never lost a game :D

I think my PR is where it is just because of him :D
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

ELO is a more accurate representation of skill. it can be cheated like anything, but when people play legit games it will get to your true skill.