Idea for a New Challenge

No Flag abbadan
Skirmisher

Idea for a New Challenge

Post by abbadan »

I'm enjoying Intervention's "New Meta" games - where you can only make pikes (though you can ship whatever you might have in your deck) - and I also enjoyed the Starvation Tournament. I thought I might add an idea for a variant challenge:
[b]What if there was NO DECK whatsoever?[b] The only shipments would be from aging up , the only upgrades would be the ones in the production areas (barracks, etc). It would have to be determined by people much better than myself whether to allow "big button" and consulate material to be used. But, at least for the Euro civs, no shipments.
TPs could still be used for their resources, I would think.
Would any one civ have a clear advantage?
Let me know if this is viable at all.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Re: Idea for a New Challenge

Post by Gendarme »

Brits would likely be heavily favored every MU.
Pay more attention to detail.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

Refer to my signature
Netherlands Bachscharfschütze
Skirmisher
ESO: michel103

Post by Bachscharfschütze »

let's also delete the hero and treasures and hey there you have a reskinned aoe2 :/
''brits c'est vraiment une civ de fdp''
- Kaiserklein, 2018
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Decks make the civs more balanced and more interesting, I think it would be a rather bland tournament because there is little room to make up interesting strategies.
Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer
ESO: JapaneseGeneral

Post by japanesegeneral »

I would rather like to see a tourney with random decks designed by some algorithm. However that would not be anywhere close to beeing competitive.
6 petards a day keep the doctor away.
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

Post by NekoBerk »

Imagine a tournament like this: There are 14 civilizations, ok, so let's try to get the best 2 players of every civ, and how?, every player sign up for a specific civ, example: Player A signs up for Brits, Player B Signs up for Frenchs, Player C signs up for Brits and Player D signs up for Frenchs, ok, so now let's make this: A Vs C (Both players will play a british mirror, and whoever who wins will advance to the next bracket/position) and the same with B and D, the difference is that both will play a french mirror since they signed up for that civ. So what happens after we have got the 2 best players of every civ?, well, now we have 28 (2 persons per civ) players, so let's do no mirrors battles and that the best civ wins.

I don't know if i explained it good, it seems interesting for me but i understand that it might be too boring since it will be a tournament full mirrors in the beginning and players are limited to only use 1 civ
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

I think you guys are thinking way too complicated ideas for semi-dead game.

The easiest and best format to organize would be an invitational for example with max 16 players with group stage games during a week and the play offs during a weekend.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

That would be the best way to not get games played
mad cuz bad
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I dont necessarily agree with that, but Id make it two weeks.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

NekoBerk wrote:Imagine a tournament like this: There are 14 civilizations, ok, so let's try to get the best 2 players of every civ, and how?, every player sign up for a specific civ, example: Player A signs up for Brits, Player B Signs up for Frenchs, Player C signs up for Brits and Player D signs up for Frenchs, ok, so now let's make this: A Vs C (Both players will play a british mirror, and whoever who wins will advance to the next bracket/position) and the same with B and D, the difference is that both will play a french mirror since they signed up for that civ. So what happens after we have got the 2 best players of every civ?, well, now we have 28 (2 persons per civ) players, so let's do no mirrors battles and that the best civ wins.

I don't know if i explained it good, it seems interesting for me but i understand that it might be too boring since it will be a tournament full mirrors in the beginning and players are limited to only use 1 civ

If A and C, and B and D team up, they can just play 14 civs once. Maybe it's easier to schedule and play.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018