Cover mode

United States of America cedarfarms
Dragoon
ESO: Cedar_farms_

Cover mode

Post by cedarfarms »

What exactly is cover mode and what does it do, and can all units be put into cover mode, because i have it set as hotkey "c" and when i press it for a pike its stance and movement will change, but with other units sometimes it just wont have any effect.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Cover mode

Post by macacoalbino »

It's a stance for melee infantry that makes them take half ranged damage (i think bombard type damage as well), makes them move at half speed and make them deal half damage as well. There's something about the RoF that I don't remember, i think it doubles the siege RoF (while doing half damage), not sure though.

Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Cover mode

Post by yemshi »

Err, siege/RoF gets halfed too.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Cover mode

Post by macacoalbino »

ok, nvm then :P

France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Cover mode

Post by Kaiserklein »

The RoF is unchanged in cover mode. Indeed cover mode makes the melee infantry unit have a 50% resist at all bombard and ranged damage but they move twice slower and deal half damage. It's useful to tank ranged damage while other units fight. Don't abuse it tho, it makes those units suck for their former target : they die to cav. For example, a huss vs 2 pikes won't kill even 1 pike. But if they are in cover mode, the huss will kill both of them.

If you have a good micro, just try to put the cover mode right before the enemy shoots at your units, so that they tank, then remove it to back them faster. You can also use it while sieging a building : let's say you have 5 pikes sieging a tower, just put the one pike that the tower is targeting in cover mode, and it will tank twice longer while the other 4 pikes are still dealing the same damage. This might save 1 or 2 pikes for free if the enemy doesn't spot the trick
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Cover mode

Post by _venox_ »

I guess pikemen in cover mode siege twice as fast.
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Cover mode

Post by Kaiserklein »

No they don't. Why would they ? And if they did, it would mean they end up with the same attack as in normal mode, but with twice the range resist. So people would always use it for sieging, which isn't the case.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
United States of America Durokan
Retired Contributor
ESO: Durokan

Cover mode

Post by Durokan »

kaiserklein wrote:No they don''t. Why would they ? And if they did, it would mean they end up with the same attack as in normal mode, but with twice the range resist. So people would always use it for sieging, which isn''t the case.

I am fairly certain it does boost their rof while in siege mode only, but I am on vacation and do not have access to aoe3 for almost another week. It may just be a widespread myth, I cannot say I have ever experienced it first hand. I would be grateful if someone was to boot up the scenario editor and test cover mode vs standard mode while sieging. (Time how long it takes 8 pikes to kill a tower, note unit losses etc. or just time how long it takes 5 attacks to hit)
Check out my Custom Map Workshop here!
http://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?p=98718#top
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Cover mode

Post by Kaiserklein »

I did test and they have exactly the same siege ROF in cover mode and in normal mode. Can't see no reason why they would'nt anyway