The ultimate checklist for casters!

No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Post by thebritish »

jerom wrote:
gibson wrote: well not all of us have that flexibility lol. Im not just talking about work though. I got school, I got wank schedule, I got gym. Cant balance it if things randomly start an hour late lol
you cant claim to be busy if you have time to watch a bo9 lol.
ahhahahahah
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

jerom wrote:
gibson wrote: well not all of us have that flexibility lol. Im not just talking about work though. I got school, I got wank schedule, I got gym. Cant balance it if things randomly start an hour late lol
You can be busy but find time to watch a tournament final...
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

britishmusketeer wrote:
jerom wrote:you cant claim to be busy if you have time to watch a bo9 lol.
You can be busy but find time to watch a tournament final...
And when they are 30 minutes late, everything is messed up? You can expect a BO9 to take like 5 hours. 30 minutes is hardly relevant tbh. Although I agree its better if the game is played on time, thats partly the responsibility of players aswell.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

jerom wrote:

would you like me to give you my daily schedule? I have on average about 2 maybe 3 free hours a day. So if my free time happens to be from 1-330 then I might have time to watch one, but definitly not if it starts an hour late. I dont claim to be super incredibly busy but only having 2-3 free hours a day seems busy to me. Idk though, maybe a lot of people have 0 free time.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

I am very concerned about your wanking schedule if school + gym + wanking results in 2 hours free time.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

The punctuality thing is a biggy for me. It is one thing to have Smackdown start late (as it is an informal event). But I really don't feel like waiting until 6:40 to see a series when the casting was supposed to start at 6. It's rude to keep a ton of people waiting without giving updates.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Sweden Zutazuta
Howdah
zuta

Post by Zutazuta »

Comments like this are always appreciated. I find it very helpful and always love to hear any constructive criticism in events that I take part in. I also want to take a minute to respond to each of the comments in this thread to address the issues people have brought up. I can't speak for everyone here, but here is how things are for me personally:

Don't forget to remove the overlay! I actually don't even like the overlay at all, it's better to stare at a guy starting up aoe3 than at a dumb picture.

Most of the time the overlay is there for a reason. Usually when the overlay is up, it means that we're either discussing something private, setting something up, or in the case of SS messaging every person on your friends list desperately attempting to set up players for the match.

Don't alt tab out of game to look at Skype gr or w.e. very distracting and unprofessional

Turn background noises off, skype calls, music, gr sounds etc

I don't think I personally have too many issues with this. Some people only have one monitor, so I can see how tabbing would be more problematic for them. Reminder to anyone casting, that if you are using OBS you can capture the game directly as a source and this won't be an issue.

Put skype and stuff on busy. I dont like the disappointnent following the hype that I might have gotten a message which I didnt actually get.

That is something I need to work on. Thanks for the reminder.

Again, not a caster and don't want to sound inconsiderate. I appreciate the contribution of the casters and think they do a very good job.

The key factor I would like casters to resolve is being prompt. If a stream is scheduled to start at say 6pm, I would expect the stream to go live any time between 5:59 and 6:03 (allowing for the delay that casters sometimes impose). My first view should be the players in the game, with the map set up, ready to select what civ they want to play. If this means players and casters need to prepare for 30 minutes before the stream starts, then so be it.

It seems that delayed streams have become something of a habit. Sometimes, this can mean hundreds of people can be left waiting, second guessing themselves if they have the date or the time right, or whether something else has come up that means the players won't be streaming. For the sake of some preparation time on behalf of the casters, these issues could be spared.

As Qulala mentioned, we are all unpaid volunteers. That said, I do hold myself to the highest standards when it comes to timeliness. Unfortunately, in order to cast a game, the players also need to be on time. As was the case on Sunday, the players were not ready, which meant that Interjection and myself just sat around waiting for them to arrive just like the rest of you :(

I indeed think that casters should check the chat a bit more for feedback

I'll personally try better to remain more interactive.

this being said, I think it is awesome aoe3 has so many dedicated and awesome casters who are free to cast on a regular basis

<3

I have a serious proposal to improve players' comfort, casting quality and viewers count.
The overall idea is to stream the match 30mn after it started in live.
Game start with 2 players and a referee that is there only to check the map is fair and record the game.
2 casters will then wait the game finish, get the record from the referee, use the Aizamk (soon to be released) Spectator UI 2.0, set everything on high graphic quality with balanced sound between the game and casters.
As a result, there will be no lag (or much less) for the players and the viewers will have the best watchable quality.
I only see big improvements with the only downside of a 30mn delay compare to real live stream.

There would be loads of spoilers. Anyone who really wanted could just check the ESO stats page and ruin it for everyone. Half the fun of live streams (and casting) is living in the moment!

I mean would you show up to work 40 minutes late?

Nope, but they also dump a few thousand bucks in my back pocket every week. Huge difference between being a volunteer and a paid employee. I bet if every participant of each cast were paid a guaranteed salary we'd start on time close to 100% of the time. ')

The punctuality thing is a biggy for me. It is one thing to have Smackdown start late (as it is an informal event). But I really don't feel like waiting until 6:40 to see a series when the casting was supposed to start at 6. It's rude to keep a ton of people waiting without giving updates.

I will continue to try and improve this aspect of any cast I'm a part of. Perhaps next tournament we can work with the admins to get some stricter penalties in the rules for failing to show up.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

The punctuality thing is also related to players deciding to play a game at a certain time and then everyone expected the game to be played at that time. Realistically, that time is when the players kinda decided to meet up on eso. Then they'll have to do some setting things up, getting ready, lag tests etc.

It's not players being late or casters being late a lot of the time I think. Its also players arriving on time, and then having to set up. If you decide to play a game on 18 gmt or sth, chances are you can't show up much earlier. As a community, we should be reasonable with our expectations and expect them to then not consistently start at 18 gmt.

If it can be arranged, it'd be nice to have players show up ~15 minutes before the scheduled time or something, just to set up some things.
No Flag Wuangaga
Lancer

Post by Wuangaga »

jerom wrote:The punctuality thing is also related to players deciding to play a game at a certain time and then everyone expected the game to be played at that time. Realistically, that time is when the players kinda decided to meet up on eso. Then they''ll have to do some setting things up, getting ready, lag tests etc.

It''s not players being late or casters being late a lot of the time I think. Its also players arriving on time, and then having to set up. If you decide to play a game on 18 gmt or sth, chances are you can''t show up much earlier. As a community, we should be reasonable with our expectations and expect them to then not consistently start at 18 gmt.

If it can be arranged, it''d be nice to have players show up ~15 minutes before the scheduled time or something, just to set up some things.
I always hated to look at the chat in big tournament stream to be honest, there''s just a lot of spammers and people talking BS, expecting everyone to be as professional as possible, especially with people like jklomar on it. It''s one of the rare streams (with an active chat) that i prefer watching on fullscreen.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

The plural of "Strelet" is "Streltsy". Not "Strele"

@zutazuta @zutazuta
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

jerom wrote:The punctuality thing is also related to players deciding to play a game at a certain time and then everyone expected the game to be played at that time. Realistically, that time is when the players kinda decided to meet up on eso. Then they''ll have to do some setting things up, getting ready, lag tests etc.

It''s not players being late or casters being late a lot of the time I think. Its also players arriving on time, and then having to set up. If you decide to play a game on 18 gmt or sth, chances are you can''t show up much earlier. As a community, we should be reasonable with our expectations and expect them to then not consistently start at 18 gmt.

If it can be arranged, it''d be nice to have players show up ~15 minutes before the scheduled time or something, just to set up some things.
Or just say that the stream starts at 18:15 GMT
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

The Smackdown of yesterday was a perfect example haha ')
I wonder if they checked the list!!
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

zutazuta wrote:
Nope, but they also dump a few thousand bucks in my back pocket every week. Huge difference between being a volunteer and a paid employee. I bet if every participant of each cast were paid a guaranteed salary we''d start on time close to 100% of the time. ')
Holy shit you make over 100k? I think you work as a programmer for amazon right? How high up the ladder do you have to be for that kind of a salary?
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

Don't point out things you do not like - be happy that smackdown exists.