Signs that you're a bad player

No Flag aoefan4life
Lancer

Post by aoefan4life »

Tips for improving are always talked about here that help players get better. What are some things most people do that they're not aware of that is just bad? I think if someone with great insight into this can really help a lot of us out. What is just a bad thing most people do that keep them from winning games period.
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Post by _venox_ »

deleting their units/buildings
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah
ESO: ivanelterrible

Post by Good ol Ivan »

playing treaty
No Flag slay3r19
Crossbow

Post by slay3r19 »

gathering berries before hunts when you are not japan. Also milling in age 1. Playing treaty as french. Japan is kinda OP in treaty too.
United States of America sc
Dragoon
ESO: _ZOMBIE_

Post by sc »

slay3r19 wrote:gathering berries before hunts when you are not japan. Also milling in age 1. Playing treaty as french. Japan is kinda OP in treaty too.

France, Russia, Japan, and China are OP in tr.

While TR is a goto gamemode for noobs, its pretty difficult at high levels #treatydefender
VIRTZN and CM1993 are my friends and they never cheat. everyone should add them. kappa
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

sc wrote:
slay3r19 wrote:gathering berries before hunts when you are not japan. Also milling in age 1. Playing treaty as french. Japan is kinda OP in treaty too.

France, Russia, Japan, and China are OP in tr.

While TR is a goto gamemode for noobs, its pretty difficult at high levels #treatydefender
stormcuming?
No Flag aoefan4life
Lancer

Post by aoefan4life »

I'm talking about for the average player. I'm talking about stuff like making units when the player should be ageing or bad timings. That kinda stuff... lol
No Flag divine_moon
Dragoon

Post by divine_moon »

dunno i'm waiting for more signs, as yet i don't have any, but i assure u i'm bad :D
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

I'll get philosophical since this thread isn't going to give real answers.

You know your bad when you don't know why your bad.
No Flag aoefan4life
Lancer

Post by aoefan4life »

h2o wrote:I''ll get philosophical since this thread isn''t going to give real answers.

You know your bad when you don''t know why your bad.
Always worth a shot to ask strange questions to see if there is any earth shattering answers that would make me a PR 20 at least. That does make sense and would change some people''s thoughts about their own gameplay.
United States of America sc
Dragoon
ESO: _ZOMBIE_

Post by sc »

gibson wrote:
sc wrote:France, Russia, Japan, and China are OP in tr.

stormcuming?

in the cyber flesh
VIRTZN and CM1993 are my friends and they never cheat. everyone should add them. kappa
No Flag aoefan4life
Lancer

Post by aoefan4life »

Treaty has its own knowledge as does sup. Although treaty does take much less skill if you know how to lame it. This is very true for NR 10 and 20 for sure lol
No Flag divine_moon
Dragoon

Post by divine_moon »

h2o wrote:I''ll get philosophical since this thread isn''t going to give real answers.

You know your bad when you don''t know why your bad.
naah i know y i''m bad :lol: so that makes me not bad? :whistling:

My vill micro sux big time!
I employ some troops in battle just ''cuz i like them :rolleyes: (not ''cuz they counter what my opponent is making) ...
I have some weird facination of using civs people usually don''t use...( like i''m currently hell bent on using the spanish &' portuguese) :mean:

:coffee:
United States of America Durokan
Retired Contributor
ESO: Durokan

Post by Durokan »

aoefan4life wrote:Tips for improving are always talked about here that help players get better. What are some things most people do that they''re not aware of that is just bad? I think if someone with great insight into this can really help a lot of us out. What is just a bad thing most people do that keep them from winning games period.

Herding is pretty important to do, a nice safe herd of buffalo under the tc is better than one far away because it is not easy to raid and it saves walking time.

Positioning of units is also important. Starting a fight with two waves of 5 units is much more innefective as compared to one group of 10. Dont overextend.

Unit composition is also important. Dont only mass one type of unit, muskets being supported by cav is better than either just cav or musks alone.

Last, probably the most important, almost never siege a tc. It is risky and forcing the opponent to surrender is a safer way to win. Taking a tc is a risk, it wastes time and if it doesnt go down your time is wasted. Units can also pop out and trap the sieging units. Target a military building or houses instead.
Check out my Custom Map Workshop here!
http://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?p=98718#top
Retired Contributor

Post by Durokan »

aoefan4life wrote:Treaty has its own knowledge as does sup. Although treaty does take much less skill if you know how to lame it. This is very true for NR 10 and 20 for sure lol

Rush has its fair share of lamers, looking at you iro/otto
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

durokan wrote:
aoefan4life wrote:Treaty has its own knowledge as does sup. Although treaty does take much less skill if you know how to lame it. This is very true for NR 10 and 20 for sure lol

Rush has its fair share of lamers, looking at you iro/otto
confession time:
I look down on people who call supremacy games "rush"
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

Same
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

You are bad when you are neither good nor ugly.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

to follow the philosophical and add some scientific approach:
that's a skill to know what you don't know and its vry hard to get --> require metacognition
and there's actually a name for people who think they know a lot while they actually don't, if you want put a fancy word on a very common behavior (in every day life skills, but works perfectly for aoe too :p)
it's called the Dunning-Kruger effect which tells that highly skilled people underestimate their competence, and low skilled overestimated theirs
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

it has been proven than people who overcommit under tc are premature ejaculator
it's all abt controlling intensity, not going in there to quick until the work is done bro
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Post by _venox_ »

I would pick a civ and pick a guide, ask somebody, create a custom game and try the build so many times until you get it exactly the same or about 90% even (unit count). If You like unused civs then spain/portus/dutch or even aztec has it's ground. Just try the spain ff and all it's possible variations and look where you got more economy, where more units and where you attack rather early or rather late. You can try a piroshiki style ff by going early trading post (gather 100w) then age tower + 200c, gather 100c send 700c age up with 8pikes 700w get rax and tp forward 5 houses then send 8 pike and train musketeers from the rax. then 2 falcs 5 huss 12pikes or just random units. Try to group all shoting units, all meele units, falconets and if you're good at it even a cav group.
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
Retired Contributor

Post by Durokan »

lemmings121 wrote:
durokan wrote:Rush has its fair share of lamers, looking at you iro/otto
confession time:
I look down on people who call supremacy games "rush"
Confession time:
Was just trying to be specific, didnt mean to offend anyone. I was just trying to differentiate between supremacy without treaty and supremacy with treaty. I play only supremacy with rush only, hence why i said rush.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

A rush is an all in, generally considered low skill attack in the early game. It's easy to look down on people who don't know the difference between that and the no rules game mode.
Retired Contributor

Post by Durokan »

calmyourtits wrote:A rush is an all in, generally considered low skill attack in the early game. It''s easy to look down on people who don''t know the difference between that and the no rules game mode.
mk, i meant a no rules game mode, now you guys dont have to look down on me :3